Brussels bomb suspect was Moroccan and 'known to police'
A man suspected of setting off a bomb at Brussels Central Station on Tuesday has been identified as a 36-year-old Moroccan from a city district that has spawned a number of jihadist attackers. The suspect came from Molenbeek and was carrying a bomb armed with nails and gas canisters, officials said. He was shot and later died after the explosion, which is being treated as a terrorist attack. He was known to police but had not been linked to terrorism, reports said.
Belgian Prime Minister Charles Michel told reporters that a "terrorist attack had been averted" at the station.
Prosecutor Eric Van der Sypt said the suspect, identified only by his initials O.Z., had approached a group of passengers beneath the main concourse and attempted to blow up his suitcase. It partially exploded and caught fire before blowing up a second time. The man had then run towards a station-master and targeted a soldier, screaming "Allahu Akbar (God is greatest)", before being shot. He was not wearing a suicide belt.